Total Pageviews

Saturday 31 January 2015

Bedside Tables - A DIY Project

The dilemma I have in contemplating furnishing our new home is that 1. I don't like 'new' furniture, 2. most new furniture that I do like costs $$$, 3. I want unique things in my home that reflect what I love, 4. I love the lines and character of 'old' furniture but don't want 'old' furniture in the house. 5. I like good quality, well built furniture.

After wandering around many furniture stores, I have found that a lot of the timber furniture for sale looks cheap and their designs and colour schemes are quite bland. The really good quality, well built furniture costs thousands and I can't spend thousands so have to come up with another solution!

The only solution to this is to find some 'old' furniture and make it look unique & beautiful!

These bedside tables look totally different from each other, and I like that! They are from completely different eras and are totally different styles! But with similar colourings, I think they work (for me anyway).

Bedside #1 (Queen Anne Style)

Purchased: Gumtree $10
Paint: Black Charcoal metallic (spray can)

This table also has a glass top. I have inherited some very old doilies which were my mother's or grandmother's (not sure which!). They have lived at the bottom of the linen cupboard all these years as I am not a 'doilie' kind of person and am not likely to use them for their intended purpose. I thought that maybe I could display them under the glass on this bedside table and that they will contribute to the character of the piece. I will update the pics when I have found them and arranged them in the table (this will most likely happen after we have moved in!)











Bedside #2 (More modern style)

Purchased: Gumtree $80 for 2 (my son has the other one)
Paint: Black gloss
Front panels: Bunnings Jacquard Black wallpaper

My son is horrified that I've painted this set of drawers! His remains gloriously untouched. I certainly understand his stance on not covering up such beautiful timber and almost feel guilty in doing it BUT I just don't like the look of this kind of 'honey' coloured timber furniture everywhere. Too much of it and the place will look like it's straight out of the 70's! I justify my actions knowing that we can always sand the paint off and restore it to it's original glory (if we are ever inclined!)









No comments:

Post a Comment